On 01/24/2012 04:28 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 01/24/2012 03:45 PM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
So called "red-hat perl" is popular again on Perl porters. I guess if
you have any proposals about Perl packaging, now it's the best time to
say so.
The main problem is that 'yum install perl' doesn't install whole Perl
tarball.
It should not. It should install a minmal run-time.

The question here is who gets to define what "perl" means. People on p5p believe quite strongly (and rightly, in my opinion) that they say what constitutes Perl - and therefore what should be in a package called "perl".

This isn't about them saying that you shouldn't distribute a cut-down version of Perl. It's about what that cut-down version is called.

People on p5p believe that a package called "perl" should install a full version of Perl as distributed from CPAN. They seem to be reaching the conclusion that your stripped down Perl package should be called perl-minimal, perl-core or something like that.

They're even talking about tweaking their toolchain to make it easier for distros to create "perl-minimal" packages.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: (WTF?) ExtUtils::MakeMaker not included in recent red-hat perl
releases
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:39:21 +0100
From: demerphq<demer...@gmail.com>
To: Perl5 Porteros<perl5-port...@perl.org>
CC: Ricardo SIGNES<perl....@rjbs.manxome.org>

It seems that Red-Hat has decided to release Perl without
ExtUtils::MakeMaker being included.

EU:MM clearly is a devel tool. People can not expect it to be installed
by default.

I agree. It probably doesn't need to be installed by default. The vast majority of Fedora/RH users will never need it.

But if the minority of Perl developers see they have a package called "perl" installed, then they are completely justified in expecting it to include EU::MM. If they see they have something called "perl-minimal" then they know (or can work out) that they need to install the full "perl" package in order to have the environment that they expect.

Or differently. People can not expect not having to change their "old"
habits.

I'm very happy to change my habits if there's a good reason. But please don't make me change my habits unnecessarily :)

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: d...@dave.org.uk