Hi

On 02/01/13 02:48, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
Hi John,

Yes, I would love to get that and I'm willing to share my code once I
have time to fix the most critical issues.

I agree this code should be shared. But read on...

Maybe Paul would like to create a "contrib" directory in the repository
that could be used to make code like this available. I guess we could

If by repository you mean the Gedcom.pm distro, that would bloat that particular distro, which is already 116 KB.

Ideally such code would be made CPAN-ready before release, without - of course - forcing the author to make it production-ready.

I can help with that. I've written a tool for my own use which lists pre-reqs, so creating Build.PL and Makefile.PL is quite easy, just a bit of editing. Still, the code need some sort of docmentation, which is the author's job.

As for a namespace, there is a long history in Perl (i.e. on CPAN) to add an X to the primary module's name, giving GedcomX::* as the prefix for all such modules. There's no doubt in my mind this is the best course.

And since I've recently become one of the admins for CPAN itself, I do take module naming very seriously.

Of course this is a bit confusing because we've just been discussing GEDCOM X. Sigh.

So - what to do?

Here's what I suggest: Last year I registered the new namespace Genealogy::*, so:

1) For modules using, or already based on, Gedcom.pm, I'd call them GedcomX::*.

2) For brand new modules, e.g. implementing GEDCOM X, or not using Gedcom.pm, e.g. me new parser we discussed on this list last year, I'd call them Genealogy::* or (for GEDCOM X) Genealogy::GedcomX::*.

That way, we'd keep separate things separate.

all make public repos on github if we have code to contribute but I
think that makes it harder to find it. And/or we could create wiki
page(s) that describes these contrib items and how to use them.

Definitely. We'll need a road-map to help orient people to these modules, along the lines of:

http://savage.net.au/Module-reviews.html

Anyway, please send your code when you get a chance. It might be a month
+- before I get to look at it and give it a try.

Glad to hear it.

Thanks,
-Steve