Hi Steve

AFAIK the gedcom standard does not impose any restrictions on whether an app
may modify an xref, so there's no guarantee that an xref will survive being
opened in "some app". You're probably only using your own code for these files,
though, so that might not be an issue. Anyway, maybe you can use one of the
following tags:

    +1 RFN <PERMANENT_RECORD_FILE_NUMBER>  {0:1}
    +1 REFN <USER_REFERENCE_NUMBER>  {0:M}
      +2 TYPE <USER_REFERENCE_TYPE>  {0:1}
    +1 RIN <AUTOMATED_RECORD_ID>  {0:1}

Regards,