Like the olden days, I have pushed a new branch for Yaroslav to smoke
http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/khw/ebcdic. It includes the latest blead, so blead doesn't have to be smoked.

It includes a bunch of patches, including quite a few that are experimental. It turns out that there were tests that were being skipped on EBCDIC platforms that I didn't know about because they used less common ways of determining the platform. This commit enables those tests. I have made a bunch of fixes to improve efficiency. This also causes a few cpan tests that were skipped before to be executed, so we can start fixing things up there.

Please test as you used to, Yaroslav, and send me the results, like before. I expect some errors. And hopefully it will compile and mostly work

Thanks

Karl