On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Tels wrote:

> * There are a couple of functions I have tests for, BUT:
>
>         =item canonpath
>
>         No physical check on the filesystem, but a logical cleanup of a
>         path. On UNIX eliminated successive slashes and successive "/.".
>
>         =cut
>
> [snip]
>         =item catdir
>
>         Concatenate two or more directory names to form a complete path
>         ending
> [snip]
>
> etc etc.
>
> Shouldn't all these path functions be already somewhere else, f.i. in
> File::Spec and shouldn't it use File::Spec, simply? Or am I something
> missing?

Yes, this should be using File::Spec (unless the code in ExtUtils for
doing these differs in a way that needs to be preserved).  I know there
are some modules out there using ExtUtils::MakeMaker for file manipulation
stuff.  I just patched ExtUtils::Instal to use File::Spec instead.  I was
planning to hunt through the core for the rest (maybe this weekend) and
patch them.

Once that was done it'd be a simple matter to remove the code implementing
these method from ExtUtils::MakeMaker.  If you would prefer to handle the
ExtUtils::MakeMaker and ExtUtils::MM_* changes yourself let me know.

-dave

www.urth.org
We await the New Sun