On Fri 30 Aug 2002 11:02, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:30:22AM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> > I was thinking about highjacking a standard function: read ()
>
> Giving read() semantics completely unrelated to reading a filehandle would
> be a bad choice of syntax.  So would making it a keyword.  Could you do it
> (mostly) via XS?

Probably, but I was thinking here about undocumented features. You know, from
the good ol' days: the real ordonary hacking

To be honoust I see no immediate real usage for making this available to the
world. I was just brainstorming with myself about how to trigger runaway
memory from smoke to smoke

I first thought about an environment variable that, once detected on exit of
perl would show the memory use, but that is neither extensible, nor elegant,
and I thought of the read hack. Then my mind wandered and musings about how
destructive/obfuscated/useful a similar hack to 'write' could be :)

Anyway, back to the real world. Feet on solid ground. What did you think of
the speed comparison model of the smoke output?

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0 & 633 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,