At 01:01 PM 10/3/02 +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
>So far, all I got was criticism. I asked for it. But no-one said it was
>useful.
>(Or I didn't read between the lines enough).

Well, since I probably have been the person that set this off, I think I
should say something here.

Ideally, I think there should be a tool that you give a reference (scalar,
list, hash, code or glob) and which will then tell you how many bytes the
underlying structure is using within the system.

Even better, maybe you should be a able to give it a module stash and it
would calculate how much memory is used by that module.

Having the ability to find out how much memory the Perl interpreter is
using inside the system, is a nice first step towards this.

Personally, I would vote against naming it something BSD centric as sbrk(),
especially if there are other systems in which you would be able to access
similar information, but in a different way.

Liz