On Mon 18 Oct 2004 19:05, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:43:12PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> > > Please consider 0.50 very soon, in which you fix 'err' calls that are an
> > > obvious mistake given defined-or functionality in blead and 5.8.x-dor:
> >
> > That would be too easy to call. here's a patch ...
>
> Thank you.  Patch provisionally rejected.  Here's why.
>
> By adding a new keyword dor has broken backwards compatibility.  Test::More
> is doing nothing wrong by current standards.  main::err() is fully declared
> before its use.  There is no ambiguity.
>
> Now with dor its suddenly a keyword and code breaks at no fault to the
> programmer.  Its not just a warning, its a syntax error.  Upgrading from 5.8
> to 5.10 will break code.  This is a problem.  Its a problem every time we
> add a new keyword.
>
> So, something must be done to fix this.  Getting everyone to patch up their
> code for 5.10 is an option of *last* resort.  This is why I'm rejecting the
> patch.
>
> The challenge for you:  Make dor work with Test::More, as written, to
> illustrate that it won't cause havoc with all code that contains a
> subroutine called err().

I won't accept that challenge, and hgere's why:

I did not invent that keyword

Many new keywords will follow

I prefer the functionality of the keyword over the fact that tests fail
because of the use of it. A simple change to test cases (not even the module
itself) a CORE module is all it needs to make everything works.

I only maintain the dor patch for 5.8.x It will be in 5.10 anyway.

> If this is not possible, the minimum that should happen is 5.8 contains
> a warning about the future reserved words.  This follows the usual pattern
> of breaking compatibility.  Warn about it in one stable series then eliminate
> it in the next.

You're right on that

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.3, & 5.9.x, and 809 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,