Moin,

On Saturday 28 January 2006 08:20, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> Gabor Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have just moved to Ubuntu and thought I will try to rely on apt-get
> > to install my Perl modules. Quckly I hit a wall and could not install
> > some of the basic modules. I did not have the time to investigate and
> > check if I made a mistake or if there is a .deb repository with the
> > latest CPAN modules for Ubuntu. I reverted to use CPAN.pm.
> > BTW here is an article on how to build Debian packages of Perl
> > modules: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/78
> >

> > Anyway I think instead of trying to setup our own binary distribution
> > we might want to make sure there are up to date repositories of
> > Perl modules for the major distributions
> > (and I am not talking only about Linux distributions here).
> > It can be done by helping the people who already maintain some of
> > these distributions or by setting up repositories such as
> > debian.cpan.org, fedora.cpan.org, etc...
>
>       That is such an incredibly good idea. I've got plenty of bandwidth
> to burn and I'm willing to set up debian.cpan.org.

Of course you must reliaze that, except for pure-perl modules and very
controlled environments, binary distributions are doomed to fail.

You simple cannot guess what libraries/compiler/system/kernel the user
has installed, unless you know the distribution and version *and* require
that the user never updates anything.

There is a reason that modules are compiled/linked against the target
system prior to installation, and there is also a reason to run the
tests: to assure that that step really worked.

FreeBSD might get away with that because the user will ever only install
their ports and they can make sure that they all play together. For
everything else, this becomes a maintanance nightmare and I wish to be no
part of that :)

PS: I just read that Adam Kennedy wrote basically the same things. OOps.

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Sat Jan 28 11:16:38 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 This email violates U.S. patent #5,546,528 and EU patent EP0689133:

   | Header | Body | Attachements |       |