>> One of the problems is going to be numbering, surely?

but it shouldn't need to be, right?  I mean, TAP is merely a protocol and
there shouldn't be a requirement that the bookkeeping happen in the same
process as the TAP emitting process I wouldn't think.  in fact, if someone
were implementing my own TAP interpretation now without any knowledge of how
Test::More works - as in, say I need a java TAP interpretation and handed it
off to someone - I would expect the java interpretation to just spit out the
proper stuff and have Test::Harness interpret those results solo.  and, in
actuality, the Test::Harness::TAP docs seem to indicate that is all that is
required.

but I understand why the perl implementations have this tie.  I just wanted
to be able to work around it.

> This works:

yes, excellent randy.  thanks for that.  it still seems a little hackish but
that's ok - hackish works for me if it means I can do what I want and nobody
else needs to do extra work :)

I made some tweaks to your format and added a few minor notes here

  http://people.apache.org/~geoff/test-more-separately.tar.gz

thanks all.

--Geoff