Adrian Howard wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2006, at 05:37, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> [snip]
>> (For the sarcasm impaired, if you're just going to store the whole
>> post-install source tarball you might as well just grab it from CPAN
>> again)
> [snip]
>
> Isn't the post-install source tree potentially different in useful ways
> from the pre-install source tree?

I'd wager that at least 90% of all modules neither modify their code before
installation nor change the behavior of "make/Build test".  There are two
common exceptions.  1) Installing Perl scripts which only change the #! line
and 2) Installing XS which generates new files.  In both cases you have the
altered files already installed to test against.

Archiving installed source dists might be useful, but I don't think its
generally useful.  Which is to say, write a tool to do it but don't build it
into the existing installation tools.