On Monday 26 February 2007 21:20, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> Case in point... my tests started suddenly warning about "UNIVERSAL::isa
> called as a function in Class::DBI".  After spending a bunch of time trying
> to figure out what the hell was going on and if Redhat introduced some new
> warning or something I finally discover that Test::MockObject uses
> UNIVERSAL::isa() which warns if *anyone* calls UNIVERSAL::isa() as a
> function.  Its nagging *me*, the unrelated 3rd party, about problems in
> someone else's code that I don't have control over!

No, it's warning you that if Test::MockObject doesn't work, that it's not *my*
problem.  It's also telling you exactly *where* that problem is.

As much as I'd like to fix the real problem (the belief that enforcing
structural subtyping makes any sense), the best I can do is try to work
around the damage while not sweeping it under the rug.

I can't see how ignoring the problem gets it fixed.

-- c