Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> chromatic wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 March 2007 17:46, Adam Kennedy wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, isn't UNIVERSAL::can($x, 'can') still valid? I seem to
>>> remember that at one point it was considered the only valid use of
>>> UNVERSAL::can directly.
>>
>> That's the only case I can think of too.
>
> Hmm, that's a clever way of determining if something is an object.
>
> I guess UNIVERSAL::isa($thing, "UNIVERSAL") works, too.  And
> UNIVERSAL::can($thing, "isa").

  Not so if your $thing is a non-object sting that happens to be a
package name ...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:39:06]~$ perl -le '$thing = "main"; print for
UNIVERSAL::can($thing, "isa"), UNIVERSAL::isa($thing, "UNIVERSAL"), eval {
$thing->UNIVERSAL::can("can") }'
CODE(0x8130278)
1
CODE(0x81302b4)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:39:18]~$

  Sorry; I got nothing.

Eirik
--
All bridge hands are equally likely, but some are more equally likely
than others.