On 11 Mar 2007, at 22:01, Michael G Schwern wrote:

Fergal Daly wrote:
You're suggesting that each call to extend the plan verifies that the
previous plan has been executed fully? That does not allow nesting.

Yes, nesting is what this proposal does which cannot be done now.

Unfortuantely the other thing it does well is shatter backwards
compatibility so I'd like it to do something significantly more.

If I remember correctly from our discussion at YAPC::NA::Chicago we suggested something like this for nesting and grouping:

1..10
1 ok - testing foo
2 ok - testing bar
..2 - grok tests
3 ok - first grok
4 ok - second grok
..end
..3 - flirble tests
5 ok - first flirble
...2 - flirble burble tests
6 ok - second flirble, first flirble burble
7 ok - third flirble, second flirble burble
...end
..end
8 ok - testing
9 ok

Please forgive me if you've discussed this on list since (I've not been following too closely) - if you have, this needs adding to the wiki.

The main reasons we liked this was that it didn't break backwards compatibility. The groups would simply be ignored by existing TAP parsers.

Thoughts?

Mark.