On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 01:47:58PM -0600, Chris Dolan wrote:

> I've been working on Test::Virtual::Filesystem for a couple of
> weeks.  It's a growing collection of interoperability tests that
> should pass for any typical filesystem.

Could it also be used for detecting what features a mounted filesystem
supports?

eg, "does this filesystem support hard links" and "does this filesystem
support Unix-style permissions"?  The hard bit is doing that while
taking into account mount options.  eg, on Mac OS X, you can mount a UFS
filesystem (which supports Unix-style perms) but tell the system to
ignore permissions altogether.  The *really* hard bit is to do that as
an unpriveleged user and without making any changes to the fs.

If so, then I can see immediate uses for it in a couple of my projects.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

      You know you're getting old when you fancy the
      teenager's parent and ignore the teenager
        -- Paul M in uknot