On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Hilary Holz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 6/25/08 10:24 AM, "chromatic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 25 June 2008 03:15:59 Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>
>>> One comment regarding 'each devel sets his/her own kwalitee metrics':
>>> This could be quite easy for the various views etc. But I'm not sure how
>>> to calculate a game score then. Do we end up with lots of different
>>> games? But then, it's only the game (which still motivates a few
>>> people..)
>>
>> Removing the game score completely would fix a lot of what I consider wrong
>> with CPANTS.
>>
>> -- c
> second!

It seems that the game theme is after all turned into "fierce competition" or
"lack of interest" depending on ... I don't know on what, but neither
is good for
CPAN.
In some cases - me included - people fix the symptom to get the metric point
while the underlying code does not really change. So the indicator stops being
an indicator.

I don't know how to fix that.
Maybe the suggestions above and elsewhere to get rid of the game theme
and the "top N" "bottom N" authors would help.

Maybe what we need to do is
1) remove the game
2) fix the current metrics (e.g. license is not correct now)
3) Add detailed explanations for each metric, or maybe to create a page on
    the TPF Perl 5 wiki for each metric where it would be easier to provide
    pro and contra explanations for each metric.
4) add more metrics (including those that collect data from external sources)
5) categorize the metrics as suggested by Salve
6) get the search engines to start to use some of the metrics
     in their search results.

Not necessarily in that order

Gabor