Lately I need to test many small utilities written in various languages.

For the most simple cases I just need to run the utilities with a set of
input
and check if the output is the same as expected.

For this it is enough to run

system "path/to/utitlity < in.txt > out.txt 2> err.txt"

and then compare them to the expected.out and expected.err
To facilitate this I generate the input and the expected output files
and put them next to the utility:

path/to/utility
path/to/utility.out
path/to/utility.err
path/to/utility.in

In case I need to test the same utility with various inputs I keep

path/to/utility
path/to/utility.2.out
path/to/utility.2.err
path/to/utility.2.in <http://utility.in>

Sometimes these utilities need to be executed with
some other tool that even needs parameters. In such cases I use:

system "pat/to/interpreter param param  path/to/utitlity < in.txt > out.txt
2> err.txt"

In most cases all the utilities in one package need to be executed the same
way.

I wonder if there are modules out there that already do this?
I could not find any that would fit my needs.

Gabor