* Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com> [2009-03-31T18:22:50]
> > What if display types could be provided informationally in the TAP stream.
> > The stream could include:
> >
> >   want: foo bar
> >   have: foo bar
> >   presentation: Some::Plugin
> >
> > With the plugin installed, the presentation layer could fix the output to be
> > useful.  Without it, you still have the data displayed and could presumably
> > re-display the TAP stream later with the presenter plugin in place.
>
> Your annoyance is valid, but you've reversed the presentation responsibility.
>
> The test should not be dictating presentation.

It isn't dictating.  It's suggesting a useful default.

Until cpan testers are submitting TAP harness, which would allow the author to
redisplay the TAP, this would lower the prereqs for installing a distribution
(you don't need a presentation-like test plugin to test the module).

> The whole point of the structured diagnostics is to allow the user of the test
> to decide how it's to be displayed.  You should simply tell your TAP reader
> how you want diagnostics formatted.  For a textual reader you have to do this
> before the test is run, but imagine a GUI reader where you can use a
> contextual menu to change the display of a single assertion after the fact.

I understand that -- but we don't have those yet, and even if we did, we're not
getting the real TAP back, yet, from smokers.

--
rjbs