David,

>> Well, that's probably the most common error ... surely there can't be
>> _that_ many CPAN Testers folks hanging around actually _watching_ the
>> tests run and killing them when they take too long.
>
> No, but there are testers who have watchdog processes to kill off
> anything that runs for an unfeasibly long time.

Okay.  I guess the next question then is: what constitutes "an
unfeasibly long time"?  Looks like the full version of this test file
takes around 200 seconds ... on my machine.  Other people's machines
... who can say?

I guess I'm not sure what to do here.  What do other folks advise?
Just give up and don't run so many tests?  That seems sorta
contradictory to the idea that more tests is better.  Or is there a
better solution that I'm not seeing?

>>                                                      Typically CPAN
>> Testers testing is done in an automated fashion, no?  And, anyway, if
>> you _were_ going to run the tests manually, you wouldn't turn on
>> $AUTOMATED_TESTING, would you?
>
> I start my test runs manually, and then just leave them running in the
> background.  Every so often I check on them, and if one of them appears
> to have got stuck I give it a kick.

Hmmmm .... well, a standard "make test" would indeed appear to be
stuck, in that test files don't have any output until either a test
fails or they're all done.  OTOH, the test itself is spitting out
"ok"s at what is most likely a furious rate ... it's just that
Test::Harness is eating them all.  And what, dare I ask, constitutes a
"kick"? :-D

Okay, this is addressing the "signal 9" ones.  And I'm pursuing the
"out of memory" ones.  Does anyone have any ideas about the "no plan
in output" ones?  Remembering that this is using the latest versions
of Test::More and Test::Harness?

            -- Buddy