In a github issue (https://github.com/schwern/test-more/issues/73), Michael Schwern argued that Test::Builder2 ought to be tested with a "completely unrelated test system. We have one, t/test.pl from the Perl core."

I thought to myself, "How difficult could that be?" I vaguely remembered test.pl as being that "thing-that-existed-before-there-were-Test-More-and-Test-Harness." I downloaded Perl 5.14.2 to get it (and took that as the opportunity to build from source).

Well, how to use t/test.pl is clearly not self-evident. It has no documentation, at least not in POD format. It has no --help or --usage statement that I could find. I typed each of the following commands:

perl t/test.pl
perl -d t/test.pl
perl t/test [#supply path to one test in the Perl core distribution]
perl -d t/test.pl [# supply path ...]

... and, essentially, nothing happened.

Does anyone actually use t/test.pl?  What does it do?  What is it for?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan