>   I just mentioned it because even on Mac OS X, you have to do
> things differently (before 10.2 and after 10.2). After 10.2(?), you
> can rely on OS APIs while before that you have to roll your own.

What I think would be useful would be to have a small _multiplatform_
library that would do whatever is necessary to do both Unicode and
traditional multibyte filenames "right".  Maybe something like

u_mkdir(void *name, mode_t mode,
        enc_e encoding, size_t size, ulong flags)
u_stat (void *name, struct stat *statbuf,
        enc_e encoding, size_t size, ulong flags)

The encoding being an enum listing in what charset+encoding the name
is in (I think this listing does *not* need to cover e.g.  legacy 8-bit
codepages), and the size telling how many bytes there are in the name.

For such a library to be useable for Perl it would have to have
a BSD or BSD-like license, I think.  Pure GPL or even LGPL wouldn't
work, Larry doesn't accept those.  The library really should be minimal
in size, so that it could just be included into Perl sources: e.g. all
character set and encoding conversions should be handed off that whatever
is available: iconv(3) or Perl's Encode, for example.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special