I've spent a bit of time building a locale framework around the CLDR data,
but it's not ready yet. The CLDR stuff is definitely useful, but patchy and
downright wrong in parts - its the best freely available data out there ATM
though.

That's why extra eyeballs are always welcome. Contrariwise to what I said
earlier, one does not NEED to be an "expert in standards". Spotting obvious
typos is helpful. Spotting errors in time/date formats is helpful.
Knowledge of standards comes handy when you want to refer national/international
standards as the basis of your bug reports.

Good to see the ICU stuff going into P6 - hope it will relatively
easy to use though - I hate the APIs!

I don't think the plan is to have ICU APIs as such available (at least in the first approximation), but instead leverage from ICU's low level Unicode machinery.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special
biologist word we use for 'stable'. It is 'dead'." -- Jack Cohen