Paul Hoffman wrote:

> At 2:17 PM -0800 3/31/04, Larry Wall wrote:
>
>>Perl 6 will assume that script is in some kind of recognizable Unicode
>>encoding, any of:
>>
>>    UTF-8
>>    UTF-16
>>    UTF-32
>>    SCSU
>>
>>Of those, probably only SCSU requires a BOM, since Perl scripts are almost
>>certain to be strict ASCII in the first few bytes where it matters.
>>
>>If it starts parsing as UTF-8, and runs into trouble, it might or might
>>not try to intuit the real encoding.  Haven't really decided that yet.
>>
>>You can always explicitly switch the encoding with "use encoding" or
>>some such.
>

> Is it too late in the Perl 6 process to ask for fewer options here?

Ummm, why?  Giving fewer options to users has never been a strong Perl
tradition :-)  Besides, recognizing the various Unicode encodings is
pretty trivial, especially if we know something that's likely to be
present in the first line, like "perl".

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special