On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:35:13AM -0700, rajarshi das wrote:
> Nicholas Clark wrote:
>> If you put those 3 bytes directly between the '{' and '}' characters in
>> the EBCDIC version of that 1 liner, does it also print 3500?

> I am unable to put those three bytes in the 1-liner you mentioned above,
> since I am unable to print the chars corresponding to those bytes
> (www.kostis.net/charsets/ebc1047.htm) on the command line.

>> I think that the regression tests tended to do something like
>>
>> if (ord 'A' == 65) {
>> # Do the ASCII/UTF-8 version
>> } else {
>> # Assume EBCDIC
>> }

I tried to fix the attribution above; apologies if I got it wrong.

I think the way you want to test this is something like:

  $key = "\x{0442}\x{0435}\x{0441}\x{0442}";
  if ( $hash{$key} eq eval "\$hash{$key}" )

It's unclear to me whether $key needs to be different for EBCDIC.

Are you just using perl on z/OS, or are you building it yourself?
If the latter, Dave Mitchell has been looking for someone to test
some parser changes he made on an EBCDIC platform so they can be
integrated into the 5.8.x series.