On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 06:02:54PM +0100, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Martin Koegler wrote:
> > eval { $res = decode_utf8(...); }
> > if ($@)
> >      return decode(...);
> > return $res
> >
> > or
> >
> > eval { $res = decode_utf8(...); }
> > if (defined $res)
> >       return $res;
> > else
> >     return decode(...);
> >
> > show the same (wrong) behaviour on Debian sarge. They do not always
> > decode non UTF-8 characters correctly, eg.
> > #öäü does not work
> > #äöüä does work
> >
> > On Debian etch, both versions are working.
>
> I don't know enough Perl to decide if it is a bug in gitweb usage
> of decode_utf8, if it is a bug in your version of Encode, or if it
> is bug in Encode.
>
> Send copy of this mail to maintainers of Encode perl module.

The bug affects old versions of perl (Debian sarge = oldstable).
As it works on the newer Debian etch, do you really think, that it is
a good idea to report issue?

How would you handle a bug report, which reports a bug for gitweb in GIT
1.4, and tells you, that a newer versions works?

As Debian sarge has reached its end of life, the distribution will
probable also issue no update.

mfg Martin Kögler