Don't use system, use backticks to get the output of the command.

$foo = `cat foobar.txt`;
print FH $foo;

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Carter A. Thompson
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 1:39 PM
To: Perl Users
Subject: Filehandle and Widget printing.

I have a Perl/Tk script that executes a system command.  What I'd like to
do is capture the output from this system command and redirect it to both
a filehandle and a text widget.

print FH "some string\n";                    # This prints to the logfile
$text->insert('end; "some string\n");    # This prints to the text widget

system("cat foobar.txt");

Now, how to I get the output from the system command into the
filehandle and into the text widget?  I'm obviously overlooking
something.

I would do a "tee" but I don't think I can tee to a widget, or can I?

Any help is greatly appreciate.

Carter.

---