        From:   Andre Warnier [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Wednesday, August 28, 2002 11:12 AM
        To:     Bellenger, Bruno (Paris)
        Subject:        RE: How to determine Windows Temp Folder?

        Ok,

        I bow to the master.

        From MS Knowledge Base :
        quote

        GetTempPath
        The GetTempPath API function allows you to determine the path
location of a
        system's temporary folder. It takes two parameters: the length of a
fixed-
        length or pre-initialized string that will contain the path name,
and the
        string itself. You must use either a fixed-length string, or a
string
        initialized to a length that you believe will be long enough to
contain the
        path information. This is to guarantee that Visual Basic allocates
enough
        buffer space for Windows to return the information.

        GetTempPath returns the length of the path name measured in bytes,
or 0 if
        an error occurs. If the return value is greater than the buffer size
you
        specified, then no path information was written to the string.

        The declaration for GetTempPath is provided in the sample below.

        GetTempFileName
        The GetTempFileName API function is used to create a fully-qualified
        temporary file name at a given location. The function takes four
        parameters: the string containing the path for the file, a string
        containing a prefix used to start the unique file name, a unique
number to
        construct the temp name, and, finally, a fixed-length or
pre-initialized
        string used to return the fully qualified file name. Both the path
and
        prefix strings are required and cannot be empty. The unique number
can be 0
        (NULL), in which case GetTempFileName creates a unique number based
on the
        current system time.

        GetTempFileName returns the unique number used to create the file
name, or
        returns 0 if an error occurs.
        unquote

        I hope this all helps the original requester...

        By the way, I used to have a Win32 API Help file, from an old
version of
        the Borland C compiler.
        I seem to have lost it somewhere.  Do you know if there exists
something
        similar, up-to-date, free, and easy to use available nowadays from
        somewhere ?

        Thanks

        Message text written by "Bellenger, Bruno \(Paris\)"

http://opensource.activestate.com/authors/jandubois/Perl/TPC3/fun.html

<http://opensource.activestate.com/authors/jandubois/Perl/TPC3/fun.html>

        also has this slightly improved version from Jan Dubois :

        use strict;
        use Win32::API;

        my $GetTempPath = new Win32::API "kernel32", "GetTempPath", [qw(N
P)], 'N';

        my $path = ' ' x 256;
        my $len = $GetTempPath->Call(length $path, $path);

        if ($len == 0) {
            print "GetTempPath() failed: $^E\n";
          }
          elsif ($len > length $path) {
            print "Buffer too small; we need $len bytes\n";
          }
          else {
            $path = substr($path,0,$len);
            print "Temp path is $path\n";