-----Original Message-----
From: Michael D. Schleif [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 21:24
Cc: Perl-Win32-Users List Service
Subject: Re: ppm3 search *all* repositories ???

Sisyphus wrote:

> [...]

        C:\>ppm3 set
          case-sensitivity: 0
        download-chunksize: 16384
            follow-install: 1
             force-install: 0
                page-lines: 24
                     pager:
             profile-track: 0
            prompt-context: 0
           prompt-slotsize: 11
            prompt-verbose: 0
                sort-field: NAME
                   tempdir: C:/temP
                trace-file: ppm3.log
               trace-level: 0
           verbose-startup: 1

> For me (with ppm) one of the entries is :
> Current PPD repository paths:
>         ActiveState Package Repository: http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/P
> PM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer
>
> Since it specifically mentions 'paths' (plural, not singular) I've always
> assumed that if there were multiple paths specified there, then *all* of
> those paths would be searched.
>
> My AS ppm documentation supports this belief. From the docs:
> set repository ROTH http://www.roth.net/perl/packages/
> The next time you do a 'search' you will not only search the ActiveState
> package repository but also the repositories you have added. Before you exit
> PPM you should save the changes to the configuration by issuing the command
> 'set save'.
>
> I just tried it out with ppm - and did a search for daemon, and it worked
> fine. Here's what I got:

<snip/>

Yes, I know that this works with original ppm.

Apparently, this behaviour has changed with ppm3 . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .

ppm3 searches all _active_ repositories.  I have used the SET FIELDS command to
include the repository in the list returned from the search.  This shows where the
modules are.  (See below)

ppm> search net-ping
Searching in Active Repositories
  1. Net-Ping          [2.18] ActiveState PPM2 Repository [http://ppm.ActiveSt~
  2. Net-Ping          [2.18] ActiveState Package Repository [http://ppm-ia.Ac~
  3. Net-Ping-External [0.10] ActiveState PPM2 Repository [http://ppm.ActiveSt~
  4. Net-Ping-External [0.10] ActiveState Package Repository [http://ppm-ia.Ac~
ppm> set
    fields: name version repository

When you list the repositories with the rep command:
ppm> rep
Repositories:
[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[2] ActiveState Package Repository
[3] Jenda
[4] RothConsulting
[5] Winnipeg

The repositories with numbers are active, you can activate and unacticate a repository
with the rep on/off command.
ppm> rep off 4
Repositories:
[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[2] ActiveState Package Repository
[3] Jenda
[4] Winnipeg
[ ] RothConsulting

James H. Cutts III                Integrated Technology Services
Computer Project Manager      Research and Education Support
Phone: (573) 882-6181         University of Missouri - Columbia
FAX:   [573] 884=8192         DC017.00,  265H Quarterdeck
                                         Columbia, MO  65212

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]