Hi list,

given an array reference in a hash, how can I append an item to the end of
that array? Or find the length so that I can assign it using $ref-[$n]
type notation?

I have tried various comboes...

$hash{$key} holds a reference to an array in the sample code presented.

*) push(@$hash{$key},$item);
   # ---> gives an error message, not a valid array for push

*) $hash{$key}->[scalar $hash{$key}]=$item;
   #no good either

*) $hash{$key}->[scalar @$hash{$key}]=$item;
   #no good

*) $hash{$key}->[scalar @{[$hash{$key}]}]=$item;
   #no good either

The following notation turned out to work though...

my $r=$hash{$key};
my @l=@$r;
$hash{$key}->[scalar @l]=$item;

...but I dont like the idea of _having_ to use those extra lines of code
there, there should be a way to append an item to a list reference in
one single operation.

Regards,
Torbjørn Lindahl