On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:50:15 +0100, Beckett Richard-qswi266
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Run a debugger.  Break right after perl_parse.  Dump the OP tree
>> and feed it to B::Deparse.  I have verified this method's validity
>> with the author of PerlApp. :-)
>
>Erm... ?:-)

I talked with Autrijus earlier this month, and we both agreed that there
is *no* way to make the Perl source code unavailable to a determined
hacker.  You could use encryption and require a passphrase every time the
executable is run, but this will still not protect you from those who must
know the passphrase.  The only viable option would be to execute the Perl
code on _your_ server and let the client only access it as a web service.

I don't think it would be possible to create _any_ source code hiding
scheme for Perl that would take me more than 1-2 days to break (on
Windows, it may take me longer on other platforms due to tool
availability/familiarity).  This assumes that I can execute the
application normally on my machine.

And no, this doesn't mean I challenge people to prove me wrong; I wouldn't
actually want to spend/waste the time demonstrating this.

>> There's also an executable that's supposed to convert a
>> perlapp back to perl
>> code at:
>> http://robgil.hypermart.net/w32perl/Exec2pl.exe
>>
>> I don't know if it works.
>
>I just tried it. It says that it works with .exes generated by perl2exe. It
>doesn't work with perlapp .exe files, though. :-(

Nobody has bothered to invest the time into cracking the PerlApp 4 or
PerlApp 5 schemes as far as I know.

If you can *prove* that the code inside the application has been written
by you, and it is only the main script and not all the bundled modules
that you need, then I can help you.  Send me private email with a
description of the script and attach the actual executable.

Cheers,
-Jan

PS: Please send questions about PerlApp (or other PDK tools) to the PDK
mailing list and not to the Perl-Win32-Users one.