----- Original Message -----
From: "Sisyphus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "perl-win32-users" <perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Subject: [OT] patch.exe on Vista is unusable.

> Does anyone have a working patch.exe on Vista ?

There's actually nothing wrong with the patch.exe files.

The problem is that Vista won't let me run any executable whose name =~
m/patch/i without first getting my Administrator password. Vista doesn't
care what the file actually does - it just decides that any executable whose

name =~ m/patch/i needs admin privileges to run, and that it can't be run
from the command line. (This of course means that I can rename patch.exe to,

say, othername.exe, and I can then run it fine - but I have to run it as
'othername', not 'patch'.)

Despite the fact that this is a great and wondrous innovation on the part of

Microsoft (I bet Linux wish they'd thought of it first), I would like to
remove this behaviour. Anyone know how to do that ?

Cheers,
Rob

You should be able to run it from the command line once you have a command
window up that has already passed the password test. i.e. Right click on the
command icon (mine is in the start menu) and choose "Run as Administrator".
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for?

Jack