----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Dubois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Sisyphus'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'perl-win32-users'"
<perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:15 PM
Subject: RE: [OT] patch.exe on Vista is unusable.
.
>> Despite the fact that this is a great and wondrous innovation on the part
>> of
>> Microsoft (I bet Linux wish they'd thought of it first), I would like to
>> remove this behaviour. Anyone know how to do that ?
>
> Did you try to create a patch.exe.manifest file in the same directory as
> patch.exe that request to run "asInvoker"?

Just gave it a try now - but no luck. I get a pop-up telling me that "The
requested operation requires elevation".

> If this doesn't work, download the ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit)
> from Microsoft and try to apply a runAsInvoker shim to the executable.
>
> There may also be a location in the registry to specify the requested
> execution level.

I'll pursue that at some stage. For the moment I'll just rename 'patch.exe'
to 'patsh.exe' - which works fine. When I first posted about this I didn't
realize that a rename would work. I had tried renaming the file to
'my_patch.exe', but when the problem persisted I thought there must be more
to it than a simple rename. It didn't occur to me at that time that the
filename must !~ m/patch/i.

I also tried out Jack's suggestion involving "Run as administrator", but
couldn't get anywhere with that either.

Thanks Jack, Jan.

Cheers,
Rob