Below...

Well, then my next guess is the use of the Variant module (because no
error is thrown from OLE).

Some OLE calls require to be cast of a certain type before they work.

use Win32::OLE::Variant;

my $nodes = Variant(VT_ARRAY|VT_VARIANT, 0);

#I might also try VT_VARIANT or VT_ARRAY|VT_BSTR instead of
VT_ARRAY|VT_VARIANT

#then
my $objChildGroups = $objGetRoot->GetChildNodeGroups($nodes, TRUE);

Play around with this...  I'm not the greatest Variant script writer
here, to know exactly which combination will work (if this is it) based
on the object type as I've only run into this a few times before, but
you can get examples from your perl install here (depending on your perl
build version) of similar options to try and all the VT_* types:

C:\Perl\html\lib\Win32\OLE\Variant.html

HTH

P.S. I googled OV_NodeGroup and found someone else with your same
problem on an HP board (or so it seems).  :(

Steven