I am having speed issues when using large wildcard searches with one of my
applications.
It is using 'ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.635' on a Windows 2000 Server machine
and is connecting to the 'Microsoft SQL Server' for database storage.
I have connected using the ODBC driver and this is pretty much instant for
small searches. But larger searches are taking too long for the users (three
to fore minutes).
There are currently 1,196,473 unique assembly-component combination records
in the database; although this is set to grow to around two or three times
the size. This is currently split over 65,699 unique assembly records and
34,509 component records.
Two loops are used to search through two tables (via an linking table) for
all the assemble/component items that match a given criteria. My current
connection string is as follows: $dbh1 = DBI-> connect('DBI:ODBC:weeesql',
'WeeeViewer','weeeaccess'); I have the CGI, DBI and DBD-ODBC packages
loaded. Is there a better (faster) way of doing this?