Jan Dubois wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, David Landgren wrote:

I don't do much Windows system administration. If you could point me
in the right direction to give the user permission to access the
network I'd be much obliged. Should I be using secpol.msc or
something else?

Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage". Expand "Local Users
and Groups" and select "Users".

This should give you a start.  But frankly I'm not sure if you should
start granting additional access rights to IIS processes if you don't
have a good understanding of Windows administration.  You can easily
create big security risks.

I understand the risks. This is an internal machine with no exposure to the World At Large and even internally it is behind a firewall. I just want an interface for the end-user to kick of a process that in part results in files being copied to another box.

There are reasons why the IUSR_* account doesn't have network access.
Ideally you should delegate the functionality that needs this to a
locally running service and pass any requests on to that service. I

Mmm yes, that sounds reasonable. After having searched a bit it looks like Win32::Daemon is the way to go.

understand that this is a lot more work, and that you can shortcut this
by granting more rights to the IUSR_* user. But remember that *every*
CGI script will now have these right, and a security vulnerability in
any of them will now put your network at risk.

Yes. I shall use this as an opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks,
David