Dear Perl/Win32 Gurus,

I have a Perl script which is triggered every minute (to check for
something) to complete a complex task that some users would rather not
perform themselves.  Of course, they're having mysterious trouble that is
not easily reproducible, so I would like to create a more extensive log
and mail it to myself.

The Perl script appears as a basic command shell, fired off by the
Scheduled Tasks part of Windows.  Various technical commands come and go,
with little bits to tell them how close they are to being done.  I have to
call upon assorted executables in this process, third-party executables
for which I have no source code.  I suspect either my users or the
executables are causing the trouble, but I can't sit down there and watch
my users, nor are they writing down any messages.

Does a way exist to capture everything in that command shell window prior
to exit?

Right now, I'm just appending to a logging message, and adding things to
it like the output from each and every "$shelloutput = qx/$shellcommand
2>&1/;" I fire off, but I suspect there's a smarter way that I have
completely missed.

Of course, I'd like to see STDERR as much as STDOUT.

Thanks for your time,

Ian