Zahir Lalani wrote:
> Hello
>
> not sure what is going on here. I have a standard xampp install on win
> XP, with the updated install of perl - which is activeperl 5.8.8. I have
> some test code to send a pdf from the cgi to the browser as follows:
>

> #!C:/Program Files/xampp/perl/bin/perl
>
> print "Content-Type:application/pdf\n";
> print "Content-Disposition:attachment;filename=test3.pdf\n\n";
>
> my $files_location;
> my $ID;
> my @fileholder;
>
> $files_location = "C:\Data\Perl";
>
> open(DLFILE, "<$files_location\test.pdf");
> binmode(DLFILE);
> binmode(STDOUT);
> @fileholder = <DLFILE>;
> close (DLFILE);
>
> print @fileholder;
>
> ====
>
> When I run this, I get the save as dialog. Whether I save or open
> directly, the resulting data is deemed as corrupt by acrobat. If I
> access the file directly via apache rather than the cgi, it works fine.
> To make sure the code was OK, I ran the same code (apart from the paths
> and the binmode) on a unix install - and it worked fine. I also tried an
> equivalent version of PHP via the xampp install - worked fine. So this
> seems to be a perl issue on win32.
>
> Has anyone got a clue as to what the problem could be?

The only thing obvious is your \s should be \\s when inside double
quotes.  State your OS, webserver, browser so we have some idea of
your environment and also do as previously suggested:

use strict;
use warnings;
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);

You could also try hex-dumping the file and the returned file and
see what's different.