Since your remote program is accessible through a browser, look at LWP:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/site/lib/LWP.html

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mortimer, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 8:59 PM
Subject: the Perl way to fire a remote executable program

> Greetings Perl Gurus,
>
> I'm hoping someone can give me a nudge in the right direction here, I have
a HTML form that a user will fill in, which goes to a standard Perl CGI
program to massage the data, I then need that program to call a remote
executable file and capture the output from a https://, massage the output
from the executable, then create some HTML, however I'm not sure on how to
call this remote executable program.

> Thus far I have tried running the "system ($run_the_prog);" command, where
the variable is "https://remote_server/program.exe?var1=test+var2=test" etc,
however that seemed to fail as the command was not understood (which I
didn't think it would understand from the command line!).

> I've also tried to create a HTML page from within Perl and use an
auto-submit to send the data to the remote server, however this returns the
output to the browser, rather than my program.

> I'm sure this has been done before .... if you know how I can do this, I'd
appreciate a direct email as I'm on the digest list, and may not get the
response until tomorrow.