Gregory,

Here is some code I use to check file dates of URL's.  If the MasterDate is
set then the url exists otherwise it does not.......

        #get the last modified date of the document on the master server
        $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
        $request = HTTP::Request->new(HEAD => $MasterFile);
        $response = $ua->request($request);
        $MasterDate = ($response->is_success ? $response->last_modified :
0);

Trevor