----- Original Message -----
From: "Rutger Vos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <perl-xs@perl.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 7:46 PM
Subject: XS build panic

> Dear gurus,
>
> on my continuing quest to bring the CORBA magic to Win32 I have taken to
> trying to build CORBA::ORBit v.0.4.7.
>
> I am running ActivePerl v5.8.4 for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread, which is
> built using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. I reasoned that, in order to build
> this module, I should use MSVC++ too - although I have no prior
> experience with this program. I decided to give it a shot after numerous
> earlier aborted attempts using mingw gcc.

If you want to use the MinGW compiler with ActivePerl, then first install
ExtUtils::FakeConfig from cpan. (See the Readme.txt for building and usage
instructions - both of which are straightforward).

> Anyway, so I unzip and untar the *.tar.gz for the module and start a new
> *.dll project in MSVC++. I add the C sources, the headers and the XS
> file to the project. I point MSVC++ to the right extra headers (i.e.
> those for orbit, the perl CORE headers and the glib headers).

Normally you would build and install by running (as per normal):

perl Makefile.PL
nmake test
nmake install

(You already have 'nmake' in your VC98\bin folder.) I don't know if that
will help, but it's worth a try.

> I get the following errors:
>
> c:\documents and settings\rvosa\desktop\corba-orbit-0.4.7\constsub.c(1
> +0) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ')' before '('
[snip]

It's quite possible that there is nothing syntactically wrong with that
file. I've been trying to find a post that I read once where errors similar
to those arose from a header file being included more than once,  but I
can't find it. (The solution in that instance was as simple as ensuring that
the header file was included only once.)

Cheers,
Rob