----- Original Message -----
From: "Reinhard Pagitsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <perl-xs@perl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:15 AM
Subject: Error: duplicate definition of argument 'sv_hFile' ignored in
Info.xs, line 404

> Hello,
>
> I try to compile a XS module with Activestate Perl 5.8.7.
> The module is a private one and not delivered to CPAN.
>
> Entering nmake after I called makefile.pl I get the following error
> messages:
>
> D:\RP\work.perl\Projekte\AFPDS>nmake
>
> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 7.00.8882
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-2000. All rights reserved.
>
> cp Info.pm blib\lib\AFPDS\Info.pm
> AutoSplitting blib\lib\AFPDS\Info.pm (blib\lib\auto\AFPDS\Info)
>          D:\Perl5.8\bin\perl.exe D:\Perl5.8\lib\ExtUtils/xsubpp
> -typemap D:\Perl5.8\lib\ExtUtils\typemap  Info.xs > Info
> .xsc && D:\Perl5.8\bin\perl.exe -MExtUtils::Command -e mv Info.xsc Info.c
> Error: duplicate definition of argument 'sv_hFile' ignored in Info.xs,
> line 404
.
.

> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'D:\Perl5.8\bin\perl.exe' : return code '0x1'
> Stop.
>

> The first effected lines in the XS files are:
> long
> _calc_pages(IN sv_hFile, IN sv_docs, OUT realdocs, perror)
>      SV* sv_hFile;
>      SV* sv_docs;
>      long realdocs;
>      SV* perror;
>     PREINIT:
>
> Does anyone know what this mean and I can solve the problem?
> There are differences with 5.6.1 and 5.8.7 XS handling?
> If I compile it with perl v5.6.1 there is no problem.
> I did not find a solution on the Web.

There are changes between 5.6.2 and 5.8.7 to the 'xsubpp' file (which is
where your error messages are being generated). I don't know precisely when
those changes occurred (xsubpp reports version 1.9508 in both cases), or if
they're the cause of the problem, but it might be a good place to start.

Other than that, it would might help if you could post some minimal example
(either as an XS file or Inline::C script) that demonstrates the problem.

Cheers,
Rob