----- Original Message -----
From: "Sherm Pendley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Sisyphus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "xs" <perl-xs@perl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: FILE* to PerlIO*

> On Apr 3, 2006, at 9:46 PM, Sisyphus wrote:
>
> > One thing that puzzles me is that 'perldoc perlclib' recommends
> > using the
> > PerlIO* types instead of the FILE* types. If that's the
> > recommendation, then
> > it seems anomalous that perl facilitates the passing of a FILE*
> > from perl to
> > XS, but not the passing of a PerlIO* from perl to XS. (At least
> > that's the
> > way it appears to me at the moment.)
>
> Does Inline::C use typemaps?

Yep - and it finds the standard typemaps by default.
Unfortunately those typemaps are incapable of counteracting syntax errors in
my xs code. (This is a major inadequacy imho :-)

I had tried passing the arg as a PERLIO*, and when that didn't work I
assumed it was because no such typemap existed. On copying and pasting the
code that Marvin posted, I discovered that I must have made a silly syntax
error in my initial attempts - because it is, in fact, as straightforward,
simple and sensible as it ought to be.

Cheers,
Rob