The author of Business::ISBN is looking for a grant from the Perl
foundation to update the module to work with 13 digit ISBNs.
Business::ISBN is an essential tool for working with ISBNs. If you
use the module brian would appreciate it if you could send him a note
about how you are using it. Any testimonials will assist him
in obtaining the grant. brian d foy can be reached at:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A draft of his grant proposal is below.

//Ed

--

DRAFT GRANT PROPOSAL TO THE PERL FOUNDATION
November 23, 2004

Name

        brian d foy

Email

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Synopsis

        Update Business::ISBN for the 13-digit ISBN format and
        Amazon.com web services and WorldCat

Benefits to the Perl Community

        I wrote the Business::ISBN module in XXXX, and since then it
        has become a staple for programmers working in the book
        business, including publishers, retailers, and librarians. I
        worked in the US and only programmed the 10 digit stuff that
        I needed.

        The ISBN Agency (www.isbn.org) has recently announced that
        the 13 digit ISBN should become the standard for US
        publishers (instead of the 10 digit version currently in
        use) so they match the rest of the world.  The current
        version of Business::ISBN does not support this.

        Many users of Business::ISBN have said they would like to
        integrate other ISBN tasks, such as Amazon.com and
        WorldCat lookups.

        http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/default.htm
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=3435361

Deliverables

        The namespace will change from Business:: to Biblio::.

        I will deliver Biblio::ISBN 1.0 which will treat 10
        digit (legacy) and 13 digit ISBNs on equal footing.  I
        will update Biblio::ISBN::Data for the latest list of
        country and publisher codes.

        Additionally, I will add methods to integrate
        Business::ISBN with Amazon.com web services and WorldCat
        so an ISBN object can lookup book information from these
        sources.

Project Schedule

        This project can start in December, and should take two
        to three weeks to research, code, test, and upload.

Bio

        I'm the original author of Business::ISBN.

Amount requested

        $1000