I'm not sure that everybody who subscribes to this listserv is aware
that perl4lib listserv postings end up in the perl.perl4lib Google
Group.  I know that I was a bit surprised to find that out.

Although serving a similar purpose, I make a distinction between
listservs and news groups.  The main distinction being that I assume the
audience for the listserv is the people who explicitly subscribe to the
listserv, whereas the audience for Google Groups are basically the whole
world.  This distinction affects my posting behavior.

For instance... I use a full "signature" (containing personal
information) for listserv postings, but am more restrictive in my
postings to news groups [1].  I tend to use a familiar and informal tone
with my listserv postings since the responses are often going to
somebody I actually know (if only by reputation).  I wouldn't
necessarily use that tone for responses to a news group posting.  In
addition, I'm more *likely* to post a response to a listserv request for
assistance, knowing (I thought) that any resulting mistakes and
ignorance on my part get a limited distribution.

The fact that perl4lib postings also go to Google Groups should at least
be mentioned in the "WELCOME to perl4lib@perl.org" automated
subscription response (preferably at the top).  Nothing was in there as
of my July 30, 2003 WELCOME message.

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington