Ed, the only problem I can see with position in the field is if a preceding subfield does not exist in every record. For example, in a given batch, most but not all records have an 856 subfield 3, followed by multiple subfield u's. If you ask to delete the first u using pos, then your target will be different determined by the presence of subfield 3. If you know that you want to eliminate u's (without regard to what else is in the field) then your target would be easier to hit.

However, you raise a good point -- how much functionality do people need? Maybe some actual examples from the wild would be useful. I can supply some but probably not until tomorrow afternoon since I have a presentation to prepare for tomorrow. If other users have some examples of real records or use cases they might clarify the most common usage. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

Mark