Hi Folks,

I'm trying to run MARC-Detrans with Panjabi Characters.  Apparently Perl
is finding them indigestible and I'm getting the error message:

Cannot decode string with wide characters at C:/Perl/lib/Encode.pm line
166.

I'm guessing that this may relate to the version of Perl I'm running,
(5.8.8) not having all the underpinnings it needs for the Panjabi block
of Unicode (U+0A02-U+OA74).  Would upgrading my version of Perl solve
the problem? Or am I missing something more subtle?  I running
detransliterations of Bengali very nicely, but as soon as I put a single
Punjabi character into the Config file it wonks out.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JJ

**Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of
the Queens Library.**

Jane Jacobs
Asst. Coord., Catalog Division
Queens Borough Public Library
89-11 Merrick Blvd.
Jamaica, NY 11432
tel.: (718) 990-0804
e-mail: jane.w.jac...@queenslibrary.org
FAX. (718) 990-8566

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.