And what field are you pulling?  Does it have subfields?  Are you sure you're
using the same variable?  Seeing more of your code might make it easier to
guess.

Not all marc fields have to have subfields.  Not sure what MARC::Field returns
if it does not have any.  If it returns undefined, that could probably cause
problems if you're iterating over a record and there's a field without
subfields.  (Like the leader/fixed fields?).

Others might have more ideas off the top of their head, but I figured I'd jot
off a quick response just in case.

Jon Gorman