On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Leif Andersson
<leif.anders...@sub.su.se> wrote:
> To sum up.
> I think it is a good idea to make the MARC blob a binary object, so to speak.
> I don't know if you should just apply my simple hacks to CPAN code.
> Or if it is called for a thourough re-write of some parts of the modules.
>
> Those changes may involve some changes in coding styles in the scripts that
> use MARC::Record.
> But probably all you have to do is to remove all that strange code you put in
> there as workarounds to the character "bugs".
>
> And yes, I have been using MARC::Charset in combination with this technique,
> without any problems that I can recall. :-)

I no longer use MARC::Record or MARC::Charset much in my line of work.
But I know that others on the list do. I encourage you all
to clone the git repository from sourceforge (maybe even move it to
GitHub?) and work on making it better...instead of having to hack at
the code locally every time there's a new release.

//Ed