Hello,

thanks to further input from the original reporter I (as co-maintainer of
N:O:H) have been able to sort out the issues illustrated by the report:

- - one of the repositories used in the test suite changed its address
  recently thus causing some tests to fail: fixed

- - The LibXML family of parsers behaves very noisily when it comes to
  the test for illegal XML making it hard to notice that the test
  actually succeeds (not fixed)

Two issues with XML::SAX might be of broader interest:

[not applicable to this thread:
- - "ParserDetails.ini"
  XML::SAX (::ParserFactory) uses a text file ParserDetails.ini located
  in the folder SAX.pm resides in or (Debian only?) under /etc/perl/...
  This file contains the list of known parsers in this installation and
  their properties. For myself I have noticed several times that this
  file was not generated (because of non-interactive dependency installs?)
  and subsequently installed individual parsers were not registered.
  My impression is that the XML::SAX framework should fall back to
  XML::SAX::PurePerl installed by the package itself but this does
  not seem to happen in the Net::OAI::Harvester test suite (maybe
  because the parser is requested with a "required feature").
  cf. < http://perl-xml.sourceforge.net/faq/#parserdetails.ini >
]

- - "latest version of XML::SAX::Base"
  some sub-modules of Net::OAI::Harvester use the get_handler() method
  supplied by XML::SAX::Base as of version 1.04. This module is
  literally hidden in the XML::SAX distribution (source is generated by
  Makefile.PL to prevent indexing of the module on CPAN). There is a
  strain of "standalone" versions of XML::SAX::Base on CPAN ending at
  version 1.02 which does not contain the method in question. (The README
  of this standalone module gives the warning that you probably do not want
  to install this module but the complete XML::SAX framework).
  When you explicitly request installation of XML::SAX::Base there is
  a probability that this fetches version 1.02 and takes precedence over or
  actually overwrites version 1.04 installed by XML::SAX and there is
  absolutely no upgrade path: XML::SAX::Base 1.02 must be uninstalled/removed
  then for things to work again.
  For Net::OAI::Harvester I have refined the requirement of XML::SAX::Base
  to the specific version 1.04 and I'm awaiting the CPAN Tester reports
  to come in: It might well be that more systems than before are entrapped
  to install the wrong module when performing "Build installdeps" and thus
  effectively cut themselves off from executing the tests at all.

Thomas Berger