Hi Thomas and Patrick!

Thank you both for bringing the discussion forward. I must admit that I'm
having some problems following here. I read your mails multiple times, really
trying to understand your demands. After reading this [1], I hope I'm getting
closer.

I just want to sum up what I think I've understood so far. Please correct me if
I'm wrong..

--  When it comes to cataloging based delimiters (punctuation), there is some
inner semantic to the content of the subfields. E.g. "=$b" in field 245 means
something different than ":$b".

-- There may be data you want to get at whole, which spread over multiple
subfields. This information is cannot be described by the range of subfields,
but with the closure through punctuation. E.g. in the field

245     00$aHeritage Books archives.$pUnderwood biographical
dictionary.$nVolumes 1 & 2 revised$h[electronic resource] /$cLaverne
Galeener-Moore.

the data you want to get is

Heritage Books archives. Underwood biographical dictionary. Volumes 1 & 2
revised [electronic resource]

Is this what you mean when want to say something like "Get me all from field
XXX until you hit Y"? I guess so.

-- Therefore the order of subfields is crucial. While MARCspec allows subfields
stated in any order, a result should preserve the subfield order emerging in
the field.

-- Some fields are linked through specific subfields. There may be some data
you want to get dependent on linkage from other fields. I'm not sure if I have
an example for this. Maybe you could provide one.

Finally I've found a nice example on the MARC21 website [2] (section $i -
Relationship information). That my question is, if you want to achieve
something like this:

Source:
100  1# $aVerdi, Giuseppe, $d1813-1901.
245  10 $aOtello :$bin full score /$cGiuseppe Verdi.
700  1# $iLibretto based on (work) $aShakespeare, William, $d1564-1616.
$tOthello.
787  08 $ireproduction of (manifestation) $aVerdi, Giuseppe, 1813-1901.
$tOtello.$d Milano: Ricordi, c1913

Result (user display):
Verdi, Giuseppe, 1813-1901. Otello : in full score / Giuseppe Verdi
Reproduction of Verdi, Giuseppe, 1813-1901. Otello. Milano : Ricordi, c1913
Libretto based on Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Othello.

Is this something you want to express within a MARCspec?

Anyhow a collection of use cases is a great idea. That would help to discover
the tasks a MARCspec should cope. But I really need your help here. Maybe a
wider audience would also be helpful?
Cheers!

Carsten

[1] <http://marc-must-die.info/index.php?title=MARC_issues>
[2] <http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd76x78x.html>
Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz